Do you have that perfect snack, you’re craving something sweet but you want it to be a little bit healthy. Sliced bananas on peanut butter toast, my perfect snack!
Note: This blog contains affiliate links to products, Sisters with Stuff may receive a commission for purchases made through these links that help support this website at no additional cost to you. See our disclosure HERE.
For me, this is the perfect snack, whole-wheat toast with peanut butter (or you could use almond butter) and sliced bananas over the top. This is an awesome snack for mid-morning, either I didn’t eat breakfast or I didn’t eat enough breakfast. I used to make it for my daughter when she was little, I just asked her if she wanted some but she said eww grosz :(. That’s my sad face, it was perfect for her, the protein and potassium and whole-wheat toast, it doesn’t get any better.
I’ll just drink my coffee, do my work and eat my sliced bananas on peanut butter toast, my perfect snack!
Alternatives to Peanut or Almond Butter:
I know there are a lot of people that have allergies to nut butters and I’m very fortunate that no one in my immediate family has that kind of allergy. I have friends with kids that have nut allergies and it’s scary just to send them to school or a birthday party. Some people just don’t think about it or they don’t think it’s real so they don’t take it seriously. I have seen the seriousness of it and it’s not a joke or made-up condition. I researched some alternatives and here’s what I came up with. The source of this information is thekitchn.com/5-Nut-Free Alternatives to Peanut Butter. These may not be safe for everyone so check before trying any of these.
- Sunflower Seed Butter: Made from Sunflower seeds. The author points out that it is the closest to peanut butter in her opinion and very easy to find in stores.
- Tahini: Made from Sesame seeds, has a nutty taste but not as sweet. I actually use Tahini when I make homemade hummus.
- Cookie Butter: Like the Biscoff Cookie Spread, not a lot of nutritional value but it’s good for a sweet treat.
- Soynut Butter: Known as WowButter, made from roasted soybeans and has lots of protein.
- Coconut Butter: The least like peanut butter but the coconut paste made from Coconut Butter pairs very well with jam or jelly.
Again always check the ingredients first, you know what you can and can’t eat.
Another comfort food I like to make:
Another comfort food I like to make is Macaroni & Cheese, Tuna Fish and Peas. Sounds weird but it’s the perfect lunch for a snowy day. My daughter still loves it and I don’t feel too bad about feeding it to her. It’s exactly what it says so you’ve got your carbs, protein and veggies. Doesn’t get any more balanced than that right?
Tell us about your favorite snack or comfort food, what’s your guilty pleasure?
Enjoy more of our informative frugal posts:
- The Best Banana Bread
- Save money by refilling instead of buying new
- The Best Pudding Sprinkle Cookies
- The Best Money Saving Cruise Tips Part 2
- 15 Amazing uses for Vinegar